Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
New FXCM FIX Plugin
by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, juanex), 1,247 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19056 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Platformer Gameplay / Leveldesign #292306
10/01/09 20:29
10/01/09 20:29
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline OP
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Dear folks,
I've used google once in a while to find out what makes some platformers better than others, especially the level design of side scrollers but there are only articles about 3D level design.
So I ask you if you know some hints or what you like/dislike in platform games - please consider gameplay differences between a Mario and a Metroid.

Thank you in advance!

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Platformer Gameplay / Leveldesign [Re: Superku] #292325
10/01/09 22:54
10/01/09 22:54
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
I think you shouldn't worry much about gameplay, because what I've seen from your last video, your game already is great from that respect.

You should make a difference between
- gameplay - that's mainly about the control and feeling of the movement and interaction,
- level design - that's mainly about the challenges and directing and tasks within the levels,
- grafics - that's mainly the visual part of that all.
But, most probably it is easier to discuss those things without making these differences, because a lot of people in these forums find it easier to mix these things up, although they are 3 totally different tasks within game production.
You should consider 'story' and 'character design' as 2 additional important tasks.
To give an example of a sidescroller that I liked most, because gameplay, level design, grafics, story and character design are fantastic:
'Heart Of Darkness'.

Sorry, maybe this isn't much of help, because 'Heart Of Darkness' is the product of a big skilled team, and it is no chance that a lone wolf can copy it.

BTW: 'And Yet It Moves' is a good example of an interesting lone wolf product.

I think the main challenge to finish your game is finding a unique and easy to accomplish style.

Don't worry about what makes your game better than others, care to make it good and unique - and as delightful as possible.

Re: Platformer Gameplay / Leveldesign [Re: Pappenheimer] #292328
10/02/09 00:06
10/02/09 00:06
Connecticut, USA
Blink Offline

Expert
Blink  Offline

Expert

Connecticut, USA
both visually stunning for the time they were released, i think mario, because of the variety of play areas and assortment of weapons and enemies made the experience fun and exciting, however, the story fun took away from the story. truthfully, i really didnt care about saving the princess after a while, i just wanted to keep busting up koopas and throwing fireballs at the bosses! Metroids story was cool, and the idea that samus was a woman really didnt matter because her battle armor was masculine. not to mention all of her power ups( i remember the first time i charged a hyper jump!!!!!!!!! holy crap!!!!!), and even the graphics of the levels got really old after a while, but it was nice. if you wanted to do a side scrolling playformer, fast paced action always seemed to be the way to go imho. evironments should be colorful, but not too distracing, and new poer-ups seems to keep the action fresh and exciting. i played a game called Gunstar Heroes by Sega, and could put it down until i finished, wanting more! A good side scroller/platformer never goes out of style.

My Famous Quotes: "Hip hop is like a virus, infecting everyone and everything around it. Every form of media has some way,shape or form, assimilated hip hop into it." It has also mutated into other strains like, trip hop, house, rap, gangster, and conscious forms. Once you are infected with it, its with you for life."
Re: Platformer Gameplay / Leveldesign [Re: Blink] #292331
10/02/09 00:41
10/02/09 00:41
mk_1 Offline

Expert
mk_1  Offline

Expert

What really sucks is jumping from one platform to another and then falling down and do all the platforms over again.

Follow me on twitter
Re: Platformer Gameplay / Leveldesign [Re: mk_1] #292332
10/02/09 00:54
10/02/09 00:54
Australia
EvilSOB Offline
Expert
EvilSOB  Offline
Expert

Australia
Just for some ideas, see if you can can track down some Utube videos of an
OLD Amiga 2D side-scroller called "Shadow of the Beast 2".
Absolutely stunning graphics for its time, and very memorable for its artistic quality and content.

"There is no fate but what WE make." - CEO Cyberdyne Systems Corp.
A8.30.5 Commercial
Re: Platformer Gameplay / Leveldesign [Re: EvilSOB] #292555
10/04/09 19:28
10/04/09 19:28
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline OP
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Thanks, I've had a look at the games you all have mentioned.
To Pappenheimer: You're right but I know the differences and the gameplay determines the level design, that is why I gave two examples above.

I don't want to open a new thread for the following question, so here we go:
What do you guys think is an acceptable time of playing for such a (low budget) game?
Please consider the time it takes to finish the game the first time and to complete it by 100%.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Re: Platformer Gameplay / Leveldesign [Re: Superku] #292591
10/05/09 01:24
10/05/09 01:24
Connecticut, USA
Blink Offline

Expert
Blink  Offline

Expert

Connecticut, USA
it took me 3 hours to finish gunstar heroes in one sitting. a side scroller one sitting i think a few hours, no more than 4 is enough time. heck, if its exciting enough, and hour is enough, as long as there is bonuses to enhance the replay value. like the silent hill weapon bonus at the end, you got that awesome alien gun and you could play the game again using that, annihilatiing everyone in your way,lol!!! something like that would be awesome. i know when the knuckles add-on game added knuckles to the sonic the hedgehog game, you could explore areas of the game that sonic couldnt reach. that added to the overall gameplay.

My Famous Quotes: "Hip hop is like a virus, infecting everyone and everything around it. Every form of media has some way,shape or form, assimilated hip hop into it." It has also mutated into other strains like, trip hop, house, rap, gangster, and conscious forms. Once you are infected with it, its with you for life."
Re: Platformer Gameplay / Leveldesign [Re: Blink] #292994
10/08/09 13:34
10/08/09 13:34
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

For playing the time , like Super Mario on SNES, it can take lot of time, like for Metroid or Zelda on Snes !
Or Wonderboy on Genesis !

A cool thing could be map with plot levels (like mario on Snes) where you can choose where to go , mixed up with power ups !
And you could have permanent power ups and temporray ones like in Mario.
Some parts of levels could only be discovered/explored when
you have the appropriate level up !

In terms of gameplay : progressive level up, new weapons/powers
is what can make you playing the game to the end !

Juts one example of very good 2D design and awesome gameplay : and it's not some engine as powerfull as A7 behind laugh

FinWick game

Last edited by ratchet; 10/08/09 14:52.
Re: Platformer Gameplay / Leveldesign [Re: ratchet] #293059
10/09/09 00:56
10/09/09 00:56
Connecticut, USA
Blink Offline

Expert
Blink  Offline

Expert

Connecticut, USA
what a cool game, i couldnt stop playing. simple, but fun. thats a great concept, exactly what a platformer should be.

Re: Platformer Gameplay / Leveldesign [Re: Blink] #293061
10/09/09 01:21
10/09/09 01:21
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline OP
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Indeed, lovely made!

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de