Quote:

I just don't think that the evidence is as conclusive as you'd like me to believe. In fact, its pretty easy to see. Random news clippings about them being wrong about the distance of objects by 100s of millions of lightyears, etc.

You misunderstood something. If a scientist measures a property X (f.i. the distance of a star), he gives as result X +/-Y. Y is the error in his measurement, and has to be carefully derived.

Thus, science does not tell that the age of the univese is 13.7 billion years. It's 13.7 (+/-0.2) billion years. 20 years ago, it was like 10 (+/-5) billion years. And in 5 years, after evaluation of the Plack probe date, it will be more precise, like 13.72 (+/-0.03) billion years.

Even theories are modified or replaced whenever a new observation contradicts them. Because a change of a theory generates many Nobel prizes, all scientists are eager to find such contradictions. Thus, if a theory survives this process - as evolution, or Big Bang - you can be pretty sure that it's consistent with all current observations.

Hope this helps understanding.

Quote:

he's the God who created thermodynamics. Which, coincidentally, predicts that life will never start on its own. If you want a lesson in thermodynamics, just ask.

Of course. We had already discussed early in this thread how life started, and I thought we were finished with that, but if you want to give a lesson, please go ahead. For your preparation:

http://www.wiley.com/legacy/college/boyer/0470003790/reviews/thermo/thermo_intro.htm