Quote:

Words have meanings and it is wrong to place meaning on words and/or phrases that the words/phrases do not necessarily carry. For example, if my wife says, "I love you!" I would be wrong to imply that she means that she believes a frog will cross the road lugging an AK-47 loaded with nuclear tipped bullets (obviously, I am being overly silly in this example ). Instead, unless I have reason to believe otherwise, I am forced to conclude that her words mean simply what she stated. I bring this up because of this statement of yours:

[Quote]:
I was even told in my Christian education that the bible supports the Big Bang and the Evolution theories. ("Let there be light" - that's the Big Bang. "God separated the light from the darkness" - that's the background radiation. If you want.).

I look at the words "And God said, Let there be light." and I get this from it: God made a statement. His statement was "Let there be light" and the end result was light. Please note that I am not stating whether I believe this statement to be true or not.

And that's exactly why I don't 'like' the bible. Sure, if the bible would say event A happened, after it, event B happened and so on, I would probably not have any problems. But there are so many vague texts which give room to more than one interpretation. Proof me wrong if you wish, but it's all the same, as seen in this thread people use pretty vague texts as evidence for all kinds of events, eventhough literally there has only been written things like 'and then there was light'. I agree with your motivation on why you believe it to have been meant literally though, that's perfectly reasonable. But when you compare certain facts to the literal meaning of the text then personally, wether or not the content is true or not, I begin to doubt it nevertheless. It takes only one thing that doesn't add up and the whole text becomes questionable. Take simple details like changing water to wine. It's impossible, at least the way it's described, thus literally. I'm really not going to believe in any miraclestories unless I'd witnessed them myself. May sound a bit arrogant, but I rather see first, and believe afterwards, not the other way around.
Anyways I could probably write a big book about why I don't believe in the bible, which I might write someday, but I won't bother you with that now. The topic is about evolution or creation, not the bible. But off course the creationists theory ís basically in the bible.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software