Quote:

So as the creature is waiting for the data for wings, its also waiting for the data to grow lighter bones, and the data to switch lungs to ones more useful for flying, and the data to behave differently with these new additions. In the meanwhile, these apparently intermediate mutations are causing disorder that will supposedly end in order. What is the creature doing in the meantime? Waiting millions of years, as a jumbled confused mess, for the mutations to finish their work or at least get to a useful intermediate? Well I don't think that between these useful intermediates, the creature is going to 'take off' genetically.

I'm not describing very well what I mean, but I'm also very tired and sick of typing right now. So I'll have to maybe explain better what I mean at another time.

I think I know what you mean. But you've misunderstood evolution: that's not the way mutations work. They only stay if they offer an advantage.

In the case of wings, certainly an animal didn't suddenly get wings and flew. It's vice versa. First a species aquired the habit to use aerodynamics for moving from trees to the ground - there are enough species, even apes, who do that even today. The better they could move through the air, the better they could catch prey or flee from predators. Then they got lighter bones and a body better suited for aerodynamics. Wings were probably the last addendum.

To illustrate this let's take the example of an eye (an organ creationists often claim "must be designed"). Of course there won't be a sudden "eye mutation". Nor will a species first get a quarter-eye, then a half-eye, and then a full-eye. The eye evolved in several steps. Every step requires only a relatively small mutation. Every such mutation offers an advantage over the previous state, or at least not a significant disadvantage. Otherwise the mutation would be selected away.

Step 1: One skin cell aquires light sensitivity. The animal can now move out of the sun, avoid the shadow of a predator or similar.

Step 2: More skin cells aquire light sensitivity. The animal can detect in which direction a shadow moves.

Step 3: The cells sink slightly into the skin, in a pit. This way the direction to a shadow is even easier determined, and the sensitive cells are better protected.

Step 4: The cells are now at the inner wall of an indentation, forming a primitive lens-less camera.

Step 5: A transparent membrane covers the dent, for protecting the cells.

Step 6: The membrane aquires a certain shape, forming a lens.

And so on. Probably the eye evolved in more or other intermediate steps, but I think you get the idea.