Quote:

This is not the topic of this thread. And frankly, I think the few creationists remaining today hardly indicate the decline of civilization: 500 years ago everyone was a creationist and we managed the development of science nevertheless.

The topic of this thread and only thing I'm interested in is how creationists explain all the observations that seem to contradict them.

For instance, to make a beginning: In the poll above someone voted for a 6000 years old universe. I'd like to learn how this person would explain the stars in the sky, the red shift, the background radiation, the expansion of the universe, the distances of galaxies, and supernovae?

If the universe were created 6000 years ago, how come that we can see stars much further away than 6000 light years?

I cant refute any of that. I only try to look at both sides of the argument because I have a lot of young earth creationist friends. Young earth creationism is not even a biblical concept. Just to briefly explain;

Genesis 1:1 states that "In the beginning God created the heavens and earth"

Genesis 1:2 "And the earth was without form and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep.."

Then the 6 day creation account begins from Genesis 1:3 onward.

It has always been my view that there is a long unspecified period between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2. A "gap" of a sizable amount of time which accounts for the dinosaurs,the age of the earth and even previous species of man.

However, the 6 day account does indeed place Adam at 6000 bc. This does not conflict with historians and archeologists placing the dawn of civilization at around 8000-10000 bc.

I do dispute the dating of civilization as older than 6000 years because of the methods used to determine it. Carbon dating can be used with some accuracy, but not precise accuracy. So I think the only real argument I would have with anyone here would be about the dating of the dawn of civilization. My question to anyone would be: hoiw do you know civilization began in 8000-10000 bc?

If any craetionist needs to know what biblical proofs I have as to why the bible agrees with the big bang and the age of the earth I would be glad to expound because I have a lot of biblical information about that subject, but I think the topic is for another thread.

So I accept the age of the earth and universe mostly, but I beleieve in a literal spontaneous re-creation and re-population of the earth at around 6000 bc. Adam was noted to be created in the "image of God" different from previous manlike creations.

Note also in Genesis 1:2 the statement "and darkness was upon the face of the waters..." implying that the first creation,or previous creations, were destroyed with a flood.

So if anyone wants to discuss the dating of the dawn of civilization I have plenty to say, however I agree with science about the age of dinos, the earth and the universe.

@Matt
Just because I disagree with science about some things does not mean I disagree about everything. I think your having trouble understanding this. I am not against science or scientist, I just dont believe evolution.