Quote:

c) if the Bible is wrong, then there is no God, no Jesus, and no immortality in Heaven. Man dies and that's it. To many people this is unacceptable, and would cause insanity.

This is why poeple argue against evolutionary theory...it takes away their hope, the meaning in their lives.

It's fine to argue against Creationism, but the above seems like a backbone argument that's really getting old.

For one thing its prideful. Some people are weak, some would go insane, but I wouldn't, I'm above that foolishness. But for a human with a limited existence, what is to be gained by giving up hope in an afterlife? Either the person wants to make themselves miserable, or they're just priding themselves.

But the main thing is that people do not see an afterlife as the meaning of their lives. Although the majority of Americans say they believe in an afterlife, how much does the average American even think or care about the future? Look at the meager retirements and savings. Average savings in the US was actually negative last year. People really just want to have fun in the moment. And since the Bible has plenty of rules against seemingly fun stuff, most people would rather all of it not be true. It's easier just to hang it all. People don't want the idea of judgement or of not being in control of their lives. The idea of there being a hell and from that a moral accountability could easily "takes away the fun in their lives."

So my point is really just that their are as many reasons to be emotionally opposed to the idea of an afterlife as an idea of emptiness. And since one approach requires a lot more discipline and hardship (not to mention now ridicule), I think the average human now greatly favors one over the other...

Sorry this was totally emotional and not scientific, but then neither was the original post.