@Hellthunder Thank you! I love your magma shader! Ello is awesome! Will your magma be solid or liquid?

@CocaCola very cool! Will you make it randomly generated?

Here's the latest on what I've been working on,

PARTICLE SHADOWS

I've made emulated particles cast and receive shadows! Each emulated particle samples the depth render view for soft edges. There is a particle camera that only has emulated particles rendered (each of these particles is the child of the particle view genius). In this view the particles are shaded with a depth shader like the shadow camera view. Then all the relevant shaders combine the depth check of their normal shadow camera, with the particle camera. I've hard coded all particles to have a fixed transparency for their shadow.

The water shader can now receive particle shadows at the surface, and the translucent view (what you see through the water but also distorted by the water's normal map). So you can place particles or objects, and there will be a shadow at the water surface, as well as on the bottom of the water floor, since the transparency camera uses the same shadow calculation!