Thanks for you all replying.

Originally Posted By: Superku
Thanks for the recommendation but I advise against using that old multiple boxes approach.
You could use a very low poly character for collision only but with the same bones/ skeleton. When you call your hitscan weapon code copy the animation to the invisible low poly mesh, call c_updatehull (?) and c_trace without USE_BOX.
I once wrote the following anim copy function, could be optimized probably:

Code:
void ent_anim_copy(ENTITY* eTarget, ENTITY* eSource)
{
	int i,numBones,hparent;
	ANGLE angle,angle2,angle3,eSourcePanInv;

numBones = ent_bones(eSource);
	ent_bonereset_all(eTarget);
	ang_diff(&eSourcePanInv,nullvector,&(eSource->pan));
	for(i = 0; i < numBones; i++)
	{
		ang_for_bone(&angle,eSource,i+1); // use bone handles/ indices instead of names
		ang_add(&angle,&eSourcePanInv);
		hparent = ent_boneparent(eSource,NULL,i+1);
		if(hparent > 0)
		{
			ang_for_bone(&angle2,eSource,hparent); // eTarget's bone is already rotated by parent bone's rotation => undo it!
			ang_add(&angle2,&eSourcePanInv);
			ang_diff(&angle3,nullvector,&angle2); // best way to do this? I doubt it.
			ang_add(&angle,&angle3);
		}
		ent_bonerotate(eTarget,i+1,&angle);
	}
}

, interesting idea, will have to think a bit about this one (in combination with painting gore / decals etc that I currently use on my current trace).

Originally Posted By: 3run
Originally Posted By: Reconnoiter
Scantexture does not work with usebox i think.
Hey

It works for me pretty well!

, for me it definitely doesn't work, it keeps returning the same bonename regardless of where the target entity is hit.

Originally Posted By: rayp
Edit
I once simply checked height of hit to decide if leg body or head was hit to use three different anims. Of course this weak system visually cant compare to hit detection with ragdoll but it was easy fast and looked pretty cool
, tnx I thought of something similar and I think it could work pretty decently as a lite limb detection system. :-)

Originally Posted By: DriftWood
The solution is like Superku first hitbox design. He attached many invisible boxes to the model. You can make the boxes thicker on your thin body parts. When shooting you ignore the bbox of the entity and use these hitboxes.
It can be found in an old AUM.
Furthermore, you can use the poly of the entity and only add these hitboxes for the thin parts of the entity body.
, tnx but this would become a bit complicated in my case since I have quite a bit of different models (and of various shapes). In the latter case of adding boxes to the models, I tried this earlier but it gives some problems with painting gore / decals etc on the target entities.