Thanks for the feedback so far. The following is my opinion. Of coures, as mentioned by some, nostalgia play a big part. But then this can't explain everything. Over the last four years I played incredibly slick games with high production values (Mass Effect, CoD and many others). They were very, very good in many aspects. Polished to the max.

But they all lacked fun and personality. I couldn't tell from the game which studio had produced it. Once I could tell a Monoltih production from an Ion Storm title in about 5 Minutes. But today, with a few exceptions (Bethesda or the guys behind Witcher) I can't. It's all the same.

For me it's like comparing a movie like Raiders of the Lost Ark to whatever Marvel Studios are churning out this summer. Titles with heart, vision, ambition and naturally flaws against polsished no-nonsense, no-risk productions.

The medium has reached the shallow waters of Hollywood. Nice to look at, never challenging ( I can't remember the last truly challenging game I've played*) but without soul. Yeah. Whoever used that word first, he's right. Soul is missing nowadays. Faceless products done by former artist degraded to Sararimen.

For shame. I am happy that many indie producers are growing.

*Yah. I forgot Dark Souls. But that is less "challenging" as I define it and more "mean and crushing". But even that is by far more fun than the sterile blockbuster experience.

@texsmi. Also a valid opinion of course. May I ask which games between 2015 and today you really consider memorable and why? For one I am curious and maybe I even find something worth to play. laugh

Edit: I am pilfering (yet again) several "Best of 2017" articles and lists, especially the comment sections. And one thing I read over and over again was praise for Divinity Original Sin 2. Not in unison. Scattered praise. But the game really hit some nerve with RPG-Fans. And though I didn't like it (that is it was not able to keep my attention), I think it is remarkable for one simple reason: The gameplay is very much Baldurs Gate in a modernized package. And it has character.

Last edited by Loremaster; 01/11/18 01:40.