The whole point of having highly structured code is to improve readability. Maybe I wasn't clear, but my point was that I found Epic's code more structured than Monolith's, which is generally a good thing. I did not find it any more complicated than it needed to be.

I say Monolith's code was less structured because the various modules (ie files, projects, and classes) were divided up somewhat haphazardly, it was not clear or consistent what modules owned what systems, there was a real dearth of useful comments and documentation, and plenty of overgrown functions/files/classes changing state from within and without in lots of non-obvious ways. In a word: spaghetti code.

Unreal was not perfect in any way, I came across some notable examples of the exact same problems there as well (plus some fresh ones I would call "macro magic"), but on the whole I just found their code easier to parse because it was more self-consistent, logically segmented, and coherent overall. But I guess that is what I'd expect from a company dedicated to the task of building the best game engine in the world, and having the budget to do it roughly 10x over again, versus a company tasked with pooping out a AAA game in three years or going bust.

Last edited by Redeemer; 11/14/17 04:06.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!