Hey there,

Not sure if it'll be helpful to anyone but I started making an Acknex wrapper for pxtone by Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya (the Japanese guy who created Cave Story). It's a somewhat minimal music format he made a while ago, including a complete set of tools (called "pxtone Collage") for creating & editing music files in this format. It's primarily targeted towards more "retro" sounding tracks and has been used in some of his games (including Cave Story). One advantage is that the files are generally really small, unless a lot of .wav samples are used while providing lossless 16bit stereo audio.

in case you want to know more about it:
http://www.cavestory.org/pixels-works/pxtone-collage.php (more links, related stuff, sourcecode, download including english translation, etc.)

Right now, the wrapper I'm making can load a file (both .ptcop & .pttune), extract the track name from the file and sample the track into an Acknex SOUND* object (which can be played by the engine). At the moment there's no on-the-fly "live" sampling of tracks but I'm not sure if it's really needed.
(the updated version can do more)

So if (for some reason) anyone wants this wrapper, let me know and I'll upload it once it can be used.

regards,
Kartoffel

-----

newest version (03.06.2017 update3): download (Dropbox)

Code:
New Changes:
- removed all the unnecessary 'Ack's from the names ("AckPxtn_..." -> "Pxtn_...")
- PxtnLoader improved
- PxtnLoader: on-the-fly streaming of Pxtone files (kind of experimental, but works)
  (causes less memory consumption, but slightly more CPU usage than prerendered tracks)
- acknex-style file loading (search paths are now used)
- support for loading pxtune files directly from memory (useful for encrypting songfiles)
- made a pxtone banner that you can show in the credits
- minor fixes
- fixed some typos

TODO:
- OpenAL support
- bugfixes?

Last edited by Kartoffel; 06/03/17 14:01.

POTATO-MAN saves the day! - Random