Quote:
Manual say that old video cards can't support some texture size, but i have a modern gpu (GTX 1060)and this should not be a problem. Any idea what else can make this crash, could it be possible that this is a engine bug beacuse i don't know what is wrong with this texture?
, I dont think your videocard is the bottleneck, but its the 32 bit Acknex engine I guess.

Quote:
I sometimes get this error too when I switch resolutions (video_set) and it's worrying me.
, I am not sure but perhaps higher video resolutions use more ram? Like they always say that for 4k or VR you need alot of ram.

Quote:
I had it all (deactivating render stages, switching resolutions, freeing memory and allocating textures for the new screen size) logged into acklog.txt and a console but can't seem to find any of those logs right now. Will report and come back here when I have more information to share.
, that would be helpful ty.

Quote:
I also worked alot on this problem and I simply couldnt find a real fix.
It usually worked using dds textures which are compressed and damn small
, tnx for the info, they seem to be the way to go when lossless/perfect image is not important. Though with .dds you cannot read the texture pixels right? (I am using pixel_for_bmap and pixel_to_bmap for a few things)

Quote:
One thing I realized is that I could reduce the size of my normal maps without impacting the appearance as much.
, reducing normal maps indeed helps, I did that for e.g. terrain where the difference in loss is not that noticeable.

The 'free mb' in the f11/diag window gives the same values as d3d_texfree. I noticed that when that gives e.g. 3667 (for a small intro map) in windows task manager it shows that Acknex uses 635 mb. For another map the d3d_texfree/free mb was something like ~3340 and in task manager Acknex used ~1620 mb (which is about the highest I can let Acknex get before I get that error again). There seem to be some difference between these values but I dont fully understand why.
I also tried setting nexus to e.g. 200 in Sed preferences but that doesn't seem to help either.
I did notice that other 32 bit programs like e.g. jasc paint shop pro also that that limit of ~1650 mb. While 64 bit corel paint shop pro can go much futher to e.g. somethig like >5600 mb in the task manager.
So checking task manager is probably the most reliable way to check if the game uses much ram.

I am personally using mostly .bmp. While the textures are not that high (with 2048x2048 as a max), I guess stuff like normal maps and shadow maps for lights double/triple their memory usage. In my game editor that doesn't use these shaders I could place alot more stuff (still not that much though).

So just keep to small maps than? Or maybe ent_purge some stuff (like terrain or buildings) when not visible? (though that does give a bit of lag when backtracking etc within maps...)