Quote:
@Malice: well it's 2d only, which means you can't really combine it with 3d rendering (if that's what you meant)

No it's not quite what I meant. So if we use a 3d engine analogy, A 3d model use smaller 2d sprites and/or 2d particles to create FXs. The programmable nature of this FX system allows for some randomness and "noise" in each instance of the FX.

So in a 2D system, where 2000 sprites can be rendered but probably only 20% n400 will account for the main entities, than maybe the other 80% can be used for a FX systems that allows for randomness and "noise" in each instance of the FX.

In the gif below.. the gun-flash is always the same... But with a programmable FX system and using(for ex) n10% total sprites, couldn't you achieve some pre-instance unique FX for the gun flash...

Is it a waste? Probably. I just really love the idea of adding chaos and variety to all games. My mind just dislikes the repeated exactness in the visuals of all games. To me it can be the greatest, most beautiful 3d rendered game with hyper real textures, but my eye and mind crave those little bits of dis-uniformity that bring me closer to real life. EDIT- That is when I'm not running for dear life and I stop to admire the vWorld -end edit

So I was thinking with 2000 sprites a vFX system is possible. And of course in a vFX system collision isn't really needed. Or at least pre-sprite collision, a volume for the whole vFX would probably do.

Lol I'm assuming again and rambling...

Last edited by Malice; 06/18/16 20:05. Reason: Correct typos and clarify