Originally Posted By: Malice
@Reconnoiter

Well your ent-node Pathfinding sounds basically like the AUM Prefect AI or Pruuuufect AI (Whatever George named the last version.)
, could be, I only took a quick glance at that AUM so could be George has influenced my subconscious of the brain. grin

I have never really liked the scream-and-look run-time node setup( c_scan for nodes-scream, then c_trace-look for visible links).
, you only need to do it once on startup, and possible once more on if something in the world has really changed (rocks have closed a pathway or whatever). Only for the actor code it would a cost a bit cpu to walk to right nodes, but I dont think that is much. Also I would use vec_dist and than a trace, should be enough, not c_scan or something like that. And just keep track of the closest node on each actor/character through e.g. event_trigger in the node event function.

At one time George had a version that you ran on the dev side to build a text-file link data graph, then the release candidate loaded the graph from a text file at level start. However if I recall, he said later that the hdd read-time had turned into a handicap.
, lol wtf grin , that sounds awfully complicated / tedious just to save some time on map loading. Was this a long time ago?

I surely wouldn't use the Path system for Pathfinding. If I couldn't make a NavMesh
NavMesh is quite complicated, isn't it? From I read, is the best way but can take lots of time to implement.

Best of luck and look forward to you Pathfinding solution in your next release.
BTW -> What editor are you using?
, tnx, I use my own made editor. Is still has some quirks that I need to change, but its easy and fast to use and flexible (and ofcourse realtime). It is more meant to become a solid map editor that I want to ship with my gs3d game(s) (that is if I can remove all the quirks) or else I will keep it just to make the maps.