Nice comparison list Malice, kudo's!

Your post triggered me to search some more about it, and I came to an interesting article (http://aigamedev.com/open/review/alienswarm-node-graph/) about how waypoint pathfinding can still be very usefull. The example is about alien swarm.
I also thought about Superku's pathfinding, which was also simple and effective.

I used WED paths previously for patrols paths, where I found them very good. But the more I read about it, they seem pretty bad for letting the enemy lead to the player. For my current project I dont need patrols, others probably do need it so take the following part with a grain of salt:

So I am thinking about ent nodes for the pathfinding. Any editor can place them (I dont used WED grin ) and in the nodes' action on startup trace + save which nodes the node can see so you get a sort of pathfinding web. Than a smart algorithm in the enemy action to let the enemy pick the best path to the player (save the node IDs in an local array or such). The algorithm is the most difficult part and is still something I working out. But otherwise it would be super easy to setup. laugh

Last edited by Reconnoiter; 06/10/16 10:44.