To be honest, I wouldn't rely on the built-in game_save() and game_load(). I remembered some time ago when I was still working with A7 when I made a fairly large game with lots of structs and variables, but had to scrap that game simply because game_load() just crashes the whole engine whenever loading a saved game (the saving/loading stuff was vital - the game was actually a world editor), and I couldn't implement custom saving/loading routines, because of deadline, and because it's a tedious task. So for my current game I wrote a custom module for that, where variables (player pos, ang, weapon id, bullets, game state,... everything) are grouped into structs and instanced as singletons, and whenever I need to save the game, just serialize everything from the singleton to an archive struct, and from the archive struct to the disk, and apply a simple encryption layer over it. Everything else (levels, skycubes...) are easy, just level_load() and ent_createlayer(). And when loading is needed, the save games' data are de-serialized back from disk to the archive, and from the archive I simply fetch the data I want and pass it back to the singleton.

Last edited by Florastamine; 11/24/15 08:27.