Originally Posted By: EpsiloN
I know it'll work well because its a stream and pixel perfection isn't needed, image formats are better suited for a still image, right?

That's right. However, one important thing is that for example jpeg is not pixel perfect but instead applies destructive compression on the image, ie you end up artifacts in the image that you can't get out.

Ok, but what do you mean I don't want bitmaps, exactly? Sorry, but I'm new to the D3D stuff laugh
I can still safely use GetPixel(hdc,col,row) to access the raw data and pass it pixel by pixel to be encoded, or is there some sort of array that holds all this data?

Pixel by pixel is way too slow, you want to get a raw buffer of the data, preferably in a format that is already supported by ffmpeg or whatever encoding library you end up using. The less operations there are between grabbing the data and getting it to the encoder the better, so ideally you want to do no work at all here and just copy the data in a suitable buffer (or even better, get a suitable buffer provided by whatever!) and then send that off to the encoder.

PS.: And, another quick question, haven't asked google yet, but how do I get the device context that the Acknex uses? Didn't find any pointers in the manual... Sorry if this is a stupid question.

No freaking idea. Not a stupid question at all, but I'm not the right one to answer it. Someone else will probably be able to help you out there.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com