Hi,

do you have any comparison tests or idea about the difference of (nearly) similar Lite-C and C++ codes? (And C# just for fun.)

My experinces:
Recently I have ported the static part of my RTS map decomposition codes to UE4, which - surprisingly for me - works at least 10, maybe 30 times faster than in 3DGS (1-1.5 sec stop in UE4 game thread what is approx. 30sec with 3DGS but with a few interim waits to avoid long freezing). It consists of large dynamic struct array allocations, several memset and few memcpy of arrays, passing arrays as function parameters by pointers, large loops with many complex computations. And significant amount of ray tracing, but it is rather an OBB vs. PhysX3.3 question (it is fast enough with 3DGS, lightning fast with PhysX).

I know it is heavily code dependent as it can be seen in C++ vs. C# benchmarks, but I would like to get a rough idea and a confirmation of that my AI related codes also would run similarly faster with UE4-C++ than in 3DGS-Lite-C (consisting of mainly dynamic array struct management - lot of array memsets, and loops through arrays - and expensive computations like tons of A* pathfinding). Moreover in Ue4-C++ I can convert my codes to run in separate threads in the background for the cost of more memory (each thread would require its own, not like when they are running after each other). Or course UE4 actor system and ticking is different from 3DGS entity system, where I could avoid using separate waits for my RTS units (I use only one loop with wait() as the main game loop and another for MapBuilder editor UI loop).

Thanks for any info laugh

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor