I don't think this is a good idea, if anything, it has to come from Conitec or with their explicit consent. Unless of course you would rather stage a takeover and just outright buy Conitec.

The biggest issue is that you need a lot of money. A lot a lot. Modernizing Gamestudio requires a heap of fulltime work for at least five or more people, it requires funding a research and design phase before that and of course you need testers. And kickstarter money is subject to taxes, so you can take a good 40% away simply for that. We are talking about a good 2 million easily, probably more.

And to what end exactly? Does the world really need Gamestudio? I suspect most people would love some backwards compatibility and not have to throw their code and knowledge away, but that would not make it a good or appealing engine. The whole legacy baggage that Gamestudio drags with it is what I assume is seriously hindering the Android version (that and underfunding, of course). There are engines out there who are modern and have excellent tooling and you would need to beat all of that. That certainly won't happen with Gamestudios legacy baggage, and there are modern game engines out there already which are given away for free.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com