my little sad story:

I tried to build up here a team last year, lived from June to Dec, without too much result. it went slowly, and members came and fell out unexpectedly, what was very hard to me to control. the target was to make a complex strategy game, so it would have been at least a 2 year long project, based on my preliminary works developed within MapBuilder.

at least the game concept and a basic documentation was established in the summer with another member, and made a project management site at trello.com with to do lists, some concepts, and basic design rules for artists. since the other programmer disappeared early, I had to do all the programming, and to reorganize everything, resulting in the total rewriting of MapBuilder, which required months.

when it was ready in the beginning of Oct, I started to work on the new RTS AI using formations enabling a more flexible battle AI system than my earlier tests, because it heavily determined other parts of the game. it required Oct-Nov-Dec, went fine, including a formation editor, but game AI development is normally slower than expected, because of the many fine tuning subsystems required after implementing the main system, which was relatively fast (but also required some research among pathfinder systems because my first idea was not good enough). also developing the proper visual debugging tools of the game AI required time.

by this time every other members became inactive, only a basic character was made. the disappeared programmer returned, but I could not know what job to give him, so finally I cancelled the project as I saw no chance to complete it in this form (target plans and members).

---

in Jan I worked further on it, having a lower scaled RTS battle game in mind, and in Feb I rewrote again MapBuilder, because I wanted to make a version I am really satisfied with.

in March-Apr I did nothing with 3dgs, I focused mainly on the possibility to move to UE4. after I was able to finally update my old GPU driver, and the significant performance improvements of UE4.7, it immediately became a near future target. it is much more difficult on the programming side, but from the artist side it is much more developed, and helper material is more widely available, so probably a nearly similar game can be developed with it, if I learn more, more, and even more C++, and dig deep into UE4 API. hopefully there I can find more artists and experienced programmers to team with, but there are still a couple of things I want to develop with 3dgs, because it goes faster, e.g. I mean AI system prototyping, or maybe even a little RTS demo.

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor