I don't want to speak for other devs, especially mobile devs or Unity users grin because I'd be accused of being a 'hater', but for my personal experience, I've always wanted to be a game designer, not a programmer.

But...to be a game designer, you must have a game behind you, and if you're all alone...you don't have a choice except learn how to program, model, animate, skin, draw and compose...Don't forget the marketing stuff, writing, video editing, fund raising and all the paperwork and legal stuff for a company.

I do try to learn new things, as we discussed a few years ago (you and me), but in the whole picture...its just a drop in a lake...

But, generally, people are lazy and they prefer just to point out what they want the game to do. And they end up with the same kind of games, featuring the same kind of gameplay and graphics, and nothing new for the user.

I'm sick of generic RPGs, shooters that just shoot at people and the ton of driving games that cant catch my eye quite easily as NFS did in the old days...

Programming requires careful planning, forethought, good knowledge not only on the syntax, but on methods and work-arounds to accomplish something that hasn't been done yet. But, very few people experiment, and thanks to them we have Battlefield 4, Occulus and World of Warcraft (old, but still the biggest...can you imagine?).

Lol, don't get me started grin I have a lot of anger in me on that subject...

Extensive Multiplayer tutorial:
http://mesetts.com/index.php?page=201