Originally Posted By: sivan
game engines targeting rather beginners, students, and hobbyists seem not to react on these changes (or just waiting), and probably they are right as they are a bit different market segment, focusing on easy start and basic usage. I wonder how 3dgs price policy goes in future, maybe stays as is, but it could easily be a more potent engine than currently (okay, the pc only publishing is a bit odd today).

I think there's still a lot of shock and awe left. UE4 pretty much changed the industry just as Unity did when releasing their free version of the engine which made most other engines release something similar too...

Considering 3DGS - well I don't want to sound too harsh but apart from people who did use it for years and know the engine very well there's no reason to prefer it over virtually any serious engine out there. Development of the engine seems to have stopped and even if something is going on no one can tell if development won't be halted for yet another Zorro kind of project. Apart from that the development in general is too slow - I mean look at what pretty much one guy did on the Neoaxis engine and what happened here in the last few months. 3DGS hasn't really evolved for years and is in no way worth its price - especially not when considerung a 20$/month UE4 engine. I also don't really see any serious advantages 3DGS has. The engine itself and the tools/editors are badly outdated. Lite-C once might have been a good thing (although I always was rather sceptical about it) but nowadays you simply can go for Lua / Javascript for easy scripting. If you want a bit more which is just what Lite-C is about you should go straight for C#. It pretty much fills Lite-C's role without being a proprietary solution you only can use for 3DGS...

When now talking about the other engines I think they simply will be forced to do something. They probably can stick to what e.g. Unity does with their pricing but they will need to adapt to what UE4 did i.e. also offer a very low monthly fee together with some royalties. Changes might not be evident in the near future but I guess in the next 2-3 years it will be obvious that the UE4 licensing model is extremely attractive and will catch lots of users. That's why I think that e.g. Unity will adapt in the near future. It also was told that internal discussions about changes already are going on but they don't want to knee-jerk their counterreaction which is why it'll still take quite a while...

Last edited by Toast; 04/27/14 01:35.