I haven't touched the script. Instead, I renamed the original "lock.mdl", then copied a different model from the project, renamed the copy to "lock.mdl", then started the script.
Sometimes it crashed, sometimes it didn't.

I believe now, though I don't remember it 100% anymore, that it crashed with two models: The original "lock.mdl", as well as a different MDL5-version of it, and a model of a treasure chest that is in the game. These are the only models I've touched with MED since I've done a reinstall of Windows on this computer.
Other models, both from my projects, as well as a testmodel from the forum, did not trigger a crash*

Quote:

I wouldn't use the seemingly problematic lock model at all anymore until I'm sure it is the reason.

I'm not sure I understood what you mean - I'm assuming the "lock.mdl"-model is the reason, but I've now replaced it by loading the original 3DS-data (the model was made in Wings3D), and saving that as a MDL. So the original faulty model isn't used at all anymore.

* - I've tried running the thing several times per model, since the crash only appears semi-regulary. However, at the time, it crashed every time with the models mentioned.

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!