Originally Posted By: Superku
if the game allows to don't use low but full HD resolutions
That is the point, the game won't have these, all content lacks of a certain amount of detail that cannot be achieved back in the days of N64/PS2/Gamecube technically-wise compared to nowadays games. I'm quiet struggling these nights with a theory.

I really hate the Minecraft look with its ugly textures or for whatever reasons.
I know. There are pixelated games (and I mean with pixelated unfiltered textures like on the PS One or Nintendo DS), though, that get the feeling right. Minecraft is as ugly as hell, no doubt.

Why do you ask?
I am quite fascinated by the idea to make a PAL-game (resolution wise, but highly advanced antialiasing) with N64 or at least Gamecube/PS2 general tech limits in terms of texture and polygonal limits to settle on a certain degree of asset-details, while applying modern additional effects and shading like parallaxed perpixel lightning or super fancy bokeh DOF, SSAO and that stuff. It is hard to describe this kind of technology mix but I think that this solves the general asset creation problem in terms of time and money, while allowing a top notch visual presentation. In fact, I believe that these constraints will also lead to better gameplay for some reasons, which goes beyond the scope of this discussion.