The grid itself can be toggled already, and for the moment I don't got any frame problems^^. It runs smoothly on 190 FPS, so I think there's no optimization needed at the moment.

I just think about adding more polygons, more detail like trees, blades of sprite-grass , bigger maps and as you mentioned above, special effects for magic and the likes. This map is just for testing, but also for testing my abilities and how I'll create the maps in the end. But I think some of your suggestions might be helpful for optimization.

For now I'll focus on the code. Up until now I think it's pretty dynamic and well structured. But I optimize a lot, too.

And for the battles, I think the battles will just be Tactics/Disgaea styled. so I think I'll just zoom in on the map, and the battles will take place on the battlefield. So there will be no extra battle screen or something like this. At the end, this project must be bearable by me, since I'm (almost) working alone, so I'll just focus on basic elements right now.

Don't get me wrong, your ideas and suggestions are welcome but a roleplaying game is quite a lot of work ^^ and I stopped working on several projects because it was just too much for one person. For this reason I restrain myself from adding to much features and things.

Cheers
Roxas