Thank you laugh.
I think I have to practice first, before I'm able to create such drawings again. Didn't make any for months now.. I was just too busy with a couple of other things.

-------

Well actually the Map itself is one single MED file. Since it's Tactics-Game I don't need any real physics or collision.

So I started to make up a plane in MED. Each square is 32x32 units, 2 polygons. After that I just extruded the hills and cliffs out of the plane.
Finally i made some simple touch ups by deforming some tiles so that it'll look more natural. I think maybe for the real maps I'll even add more polygons just to get more detail.

I also applied the skin in MED.

For painting the textures I use Photoshop CS2. It's a pretty old version, but I like to work with it.

The grass-texture is not tiled. It's just one big texture. It's 1024x1024. For more detailed levels I'll create tile-textures I think because such big textures need a lot of memory.
But the big texture has a benefit, what's hard to achieve with tile-textures: it's pretty detailed and looks very natural.

The cliff-texture is a handpainted 512x512 texture which can be tiled.
The gradient-texture around the level is just a gradient effect, 64x64.

the grid is just a 32x32 sprite.. and for each tile I create one sprite. Not very effective tough, uses up a lot of memory and entites. I think sooner or later I'll change this. But I don't have a good idea up until now.

aaand that's everything i suppose. ^^ nothing really tricky, no shaders involved.

Cheers
Roxas