this is relevant to the topic at hand... i would suggest it stays here so that the movers and shader shakers will give it the attention it might deserve to get a wider response and input...

Quote:

i would also suggest to move this topic to general or morbius since we should keep the shader part of the forum for shaders only

while titled "Shader Whining"... it is not off center to the shader discussion, and does bring up relevant points for exchange and for comment and consideration of those who are actually coding these, as well as those who are employing them...

for instance, some of the stuff you just posted...

Quote:

+bumpmapping works perfect

not quite true... there is a noticable and signifcant performance hit... and fog is not affecting any bumpmapped shadered object.

Quote:

problem is that most users test shaders in test levels and use the same ones in the end game.

well, if they aint working in the test level... you'll never get to the end game... i'm missing the point here...

you go on to state that all these shaders work fine... while in some cases that is true, combine one or two of em... watch the results.

and while the use of shadowing is needed for any semi realistic scene development... shadows are still faulty and implementing shadows with shaders again adds to the performance degradation... significantly...

hey... maybe i'm missing a few things here... can i see something that you've made, a small level maybe, that implements some of these shaders successfully...

... help point me in the right direction.

--Mike