Uhm, I assumed that because you said he didn't know about the theory of relativity.

The fact that c = constant is widely accepted to be one of its postulates. If you don't believe me, then see wikipedia.

Quote:
The Principle of Invariant Light Speed – "... light is always propagated in empty space with a definite velocity [speed] c which is independent of the state of motion of the emitting body." (from the preface).[2] That is, light in vacuum propagates with the speed c (a fixed constant, independent of direction) in at least one system of inertial coordinates (the "stationary system"), regardless of the state of motion of the light source.

Yes, the Maxwell-equations are not invariant under Galilei-transformations, and they provide very strong evidence for why this postulate is a good idea.
Still, going that one step further and realizing that this is actually a fundamental part of nature is what we usually consider a genius move. Something Einstein himself did. Not something just anyone would do.

Setting c=constant and then not doing the rest of special relativity is some sort of "mish-mash" of classical mechanics and the theory of relativity. Sometimes, this mix will provide good results, and sometimes it won't - which can be said for every mix of "correct and wrong" theories to various degrees.

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!