I also like the "old" sci-fi style more than most of the new ones. Why?

Because old sci-fi athmosphere and art style was mostly dark and dirty. In most games, the future wasn't nice or shiny (Mass Effect, Freelancer (to some extend), Perry Rhodan), but harsh and cruel (Syndicate, Blade Runner, Privateer, Neocron, etc). And because the dark and cruel games had a way more dirty look, they felt more real/immersive (i'm talking about the art they used, not the story). Used things always look more real in games than brand new ones if you ask me.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution mixes both shiny and dirty, that's why i REALLY like it's overall art style. It feels very real without actually looking real.
On the other hand, i don't really like the Crysis graphics and setting, because they "just" try to archive a realistic look without beeing very artistic. If i want to see the real world, i can go outside and look at it. No need to sit in front of a monitor for this.

A used, rusty object tells way more stories than a new, sterile one.
I guess thats why many like the Fallout graphics a lot: Apart from having that retro look, most objects and locations in Fallout are REALLY worn out and look extremely used and dirty.

As a test, try to imagine what kind of people live in the locations shown on the next screenshots. I have no idea for the mass effect or perry rhodan shots, but have clear pictures in my head for the neocron and privateer ones.

Shiny/Sterile:

Perry Rhodan

Mass Effect

Used and dirty

Neocron

Privateer

Additionally to the shiny<->dirty contrast, there are other differences (of course):

shiny: round objects and levels (= optimistic vision of the future, no edges to hurt yourself)
dirty: hard edged objects and levels (= harsh future where you have to watch where you're going to)

shiny: soft, bright lighting (= there is no evil or dark places, most people are nice and you can easily see that)
dirty: hard, dark lighting (= be careful to whom you talk to, people might smile at you, but that's only because they wan't to kill you in a dark alley and rob your money.)

And then there is the (in my oppinion) biggest difference: Screen resolution and number of colors.
If you have less colors and resolution to look at, your brain starts doing his own work to create a nice picture in your head. That's called imagination. wink You'll create a picture in your head which better suits your own taste.
If, on the other hand, you get a full HD picture with ultra high res textures and effects, there is not much room for imagination.

well, just my 2 cents laugh

Shade-C EVO Lite-C Shader Framework