Originally Posted By: Machinery_Frank
That is because reality meets Half Life 1 and Crysis. Look, here is the original image of this building. I made it exactly like this:

My point wasn't just about the design of the building itself but the level of detail difference. The building isn't totally flat yet still you decided to bake everything into the texture while putting countless little stairs on the top. It wouldn't really have made a big difference in terms of polygoncount but would be way more convincing in close ups which I guess was the whole point of it when looking at the overall level of detail...

Quote:
The same counts for the front loader vehicle. I tried to be close to the reality.

The geometries are just fine - I guess the main criticism here is that you textured them the catalogue way. We'd have expected something like this because they don't always stay brand new:

Ok - you got a point: You created a sort of convincing texture for the brand new condition. If you want to create a real mining scenario they just look a bit misplaced though especially as I think your main goal wasn't realism but a believable scenario which is what games are all about. Sure - those vehicles might look like that for a while but seeing such things drive around is an exception to the rule and would immediately point out when actually creating a mining scene destroying the immersion...

Last edited by Toast; 04/07/11 23:35. Reason: stupid typos ;)