Hey guys!
Quote:
How are you handling the jumps? What happens if one car lands ontop of another car? Does it slide off?
They kinda bounce off. I didn't really have to think about it much because much of the physics stuff was already handled with 3D vectors, so I just had to add in gravity and collision detection with the ground.

Playing in the level shown above, Weak Spot was on, and as I took the jump into the ring I landed on the weak spot of a bot, blew him up, and the shock knocked my car back out of the ring. It was pretty cool laugh
Quote:
Why are you redesigning the menu? I never understood that... Your menu is one of the coolest-looking I've ever seen made in 3dgs. So why change the design? It's simple, gets the job done, is easy to understand...
Wow. Thanks. I really appreciate that. With that in mind I'll probably keep changes minimal. I definitely want to change a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff, though. I want to render the panels on entities so I can control their movement more easily and so I don't have to worry about re-arranging the menu for resolution changes. But this also means I'll need to do some manual work to make clicking menu items work, and I'll probably take that opportunity to make gamepad control of menus more like one would expect (instead of just controlling the mouse with the joystick).

Having recently played through Oddworld Stranger's Wrath (great game) on PC, I quite like how it had a simple launcher that lets you choose between gamepad and keyboard, and choose a resolution. It always remembers your last choice, so it's not an inconvenience, and I know a lot of people prefer windowed modes over fullscreen, especially when they're doing two things at once, so I might go for a similar sort of thing in the next update (especially since I plan on introducing full-screen and heaps more resolution options).
Quote:
How about quick sand? Obviously it wouldn't cause the cars to explode dramatically, but it would still function as a delayed death zone.
I hadn't thought of that. It has potential, but I don't think I'll use it since I can't imagine quicksand contrasting enough with dirt to look nice. One reluctance I have with finding a different hazard surface is that the green grass looks quite nice next to the dirt. But my brothers were both pretty insistent that grass as a hazard just doesn't work.
Quote:
Some kind of electric floor? Might look neat, and you have an excuse for glowing cars. Also, you can add sparks.

Sparks!
That'd do the trick. I'll poke around with how I would do it. I can't imagine how I'd make it look good, but at least the very idea leaves a lot of creative wiggle room.
Quote:
Have you thought about "shaking" the camera slightly (have it quickly "wobble", etc.) whenever a car explodes and the camera quickly goes back?
I haven't. But I will. It could certainly add a lot to the feel. It might have to be quite subtle considering how regular explosions can be, but I'll play around with it. Or I'll forget. But I'm writing it down write now on my to-do list, so that shouldn't happen.
Quote:
Since I'm by now required by law to add this to any post in this topic: Please add over-the-top 2D-panel-animations whenever points are added or lost (see: Super Smash Bros. Melee).
Consider it done tongue I was actually just thinking about it this morning. I'll look at SSBM for some inspiration. I won't coy exactly what they do, but I do want the score cards to show evidence that they like getting more points and don't like losing them.

Jibb

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!