Originally Posted By: Gorilla123
Basic GIF format support that could remove the need for code
this is more USEFUL than NEEDED, noone NEEDS this
New Shaders such as realistic 3d water, etc (the Shaders that 3dgs supports are truly horrible with only a couple of exceptions that usually increase memory usage a lot)
Totally agree, this holds some truth though i dont have a problem in the shader department thanks to ShadeC
Basic weather scripts that don't kill your FPS
honestly, this is VERY easy to code
Numerous FLAG issues already mentioned
NEEDED, this needs to be addressed
the range of games possible to be made with 3dgs is very small, it's like only RPG games are really supported
Sorry, i STRONGLY disagree, be careful not to mix your personal potential with the engines potential, theres no type of game in my mind that i cant realize with 3dgs, only thing i wouldnt touch is an MMO and that maintains difficulty over any engine you choose
Basic features that are needed for some games are missing
I agree with this SOMEWHAT but i think those features arent big things like sound and physics, but some little things such as the flags that need to be addressed.
Multiplayer functions could be improved
Improved, yes i agree, though i have been seeing more and more MP projects though most of them suffer from some minor annoying MP flaws but theres also Anet if you want stability.
I mean if you pay so much, especially for the PRO version the engine should be capable of doing some big, high quality games too. Also GIF support should be an easy feature to add and would remove the need for old fashion track based sprites and unneccesary code
This is true
Originally Posted By: Locoweed

Notably, this game was always pushing 3DGS to the max, but we hoped that as 3DGS improved it would improve our performance, but every update hasn't improved performance at all.

This is also annoying, we atleast expect better visuals IF we dont get a performance boost but to be honest i think there might be a few useful performance boosters, personally i see the new sprites and the portal regions to be helpful in gaining performance.

WHAT i HATE about this engine's development is, the simplest things are what causes problems, such as flags and we always get some excuse about doing workarounds, we all know theres ALWAYS a way to find a workaround but the time it takes is what kills development, for example, i coded my TPS using c_ignore and it took about 5 minutes to write what SEEMED like functioning code, then i ran it and it failed, which resulted in an hour of me checking if i made mistakes, soon a day was wasted then i learnt it was a engine problem, i then had to code the workarond and several methods couldnt work because they were already used as workarounds for other things and thus made the code VERY messy. So, that entire system took about a week to address when it couldve been done in 5minutes if you guys had lived up to your OWN word with the c_ignore

The main annoyance with me and this engine is its lighting system, lets be honest here, its alot of work to make a sexy level using GSonly elements and then theres the little minute annoyance bugs, i wont switch to A8 because i dont see it offering anything that i cant do in A7

We might say things like gif support, weather isnt 'needed' and alot of little features but truth is, i think alot of us would use them, we dont because its not there and we cant be bothered coding it, even though its simple, coding all of these simple things is why alot of our games dont get finished, sure one might say, hey youre a hobbyist so time isnt a factor but i believe it is especially when finishing a game relies on your motivation, coding workarounds for everything significantly kills that wink I have a weather system to code for example, i know its easy but havent started due to tasks with more priority, so in a case like this, a nice working template script would be nice so i dont have to pause important tasks but i guess as said, project wont be cancelled because of this.

My team and i do have a huge project comming soon also, ofcourse it hasnt been showcased yet for several reasons, just know you'll be quite impressed ;), i think there also alot more projects being developed but kept behind closed doors wink LocoWeeds project sounds promising also, theres also CSiS and i think Zapan's zpmbie game is still under development, so i do believe theres some work going on.