Hi all,

I just bring up this question because I have been working with 3DGS for many years and I have been working on a major release using 3DGS for like 3 years now.

I look at the current projects and they are all cartoonish, very simple games. It seemed there was a time when there was some more serious games being created with 3DGS.

I have been with 3DGS for, I dunno 6 or 7 plus years now. At one point of time we decided to use 3DGS as our engine, which in hindsight might not have been best choice, but too far along to change now.

The problem is we have ended up doing like 45% of our game in dll's we wrote to make stuff work, look nice, and run at a decent fps.

I won't go into everything, but things like multiplayer, 3d sound that really works, SpeedTree, etc. The list goes on and on.

Now we are on A8, we was hoping maybe the game would run faster with better bone functions, better shadow frame rates, etc, but the fps is still all the same.

I would like to, but not going to mess with trying to improve bone animation speeds in a dll, but obviously going to have to write some shadow code that doesn't drop the fps by 1/2.

Notably, this game was always pushing 3DGS to the max, but we hoped that as 3DGS improved it would improve our performance, but every update hasn't improved performance at all, performance only happens when we write new dll's unfortunately.

Anyhow, just venting tonight, but in about 6 months 3DGS will have a nice title under it's belt, but we probably won't be using 3DGS again. For a big game, it just takes too much dll programming, etc, to keep it running at a decent fps.

I thought I read stuff about new instancing and all with 3DGS, but SpeedTree instancing actually works, 3DGS not so much, I just don't get it.

I was really hoping to see some fps improvements changing from A7 to A8, but there was absolutely no change with our large game.

Later,
Loco

Professional A8.30
Spoils of War - East Coast Games