There's plenty of room for both stylized and realistic games. I think there is a slow buildup of a backlash against the realistic stuff(thus this opinion piece and others), but it's not going to overtake the industry in regards to sales unless some kind of bizarre trend or transformation occurs. I think the writing will pick up on the realistic side. Something has to occur beyond just the visual. Gamers will eventually tire of titles just getting more and more realistic and cookiecutter. The rest of the game has to evolve, too.

The recent release Okami is one of the most unusual games to come out in a long time and is getting critical acclaim and a overwhelmingly positive response from gamers. I think it's one of the few stylized titles that surpasses the "gimmick" label given this style is more than just the visual. Its painterly style also finds its way into the gameplay via the painting brush mechanic. You're not only playing inside of a painting but painting to proceed. It's also a solid game, though and more than just pretty pictures. It's fun to play, immersing, and a huge game.

I think with the success(or at least the introduction and response) of Okami and some of the other non-traditional games coming(and that have already come and gone like Shadow of the Colossus and Psychonauts) that we'll start to see more variety as the realistic side of the industry becomes more saturated. There are too many game designers wanting to try something different(sales or no sales); thus like in painting or filmmaking, more daring and different works are going to emerge.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links