Give it your best shot, console jockey, but we're not dead yet!

Quote:

There are some myths, like perennial urban legends, that just seem impossible to kill off. One that took root a few years ago, and keeps coming back to haunt us, is this mindless dogma from the mainstream gaming press that declares the traditional adventure game to be dead and buried. Almost every unfavourable review of an adventure title contains a phrase to this effect, as if it is a licence to justify a bad review... but I'm not going to dwell too much on that here. No, I'd like to discuss a more insidious problem: the reviewing of adventure games by people who apparently have not a clue what an adventure game is all about!

1. Reviewing an adventure game as if it's supposed to be an action game

2. Denigrating a game simply because it is 'point-and-click'

3. Encouraging the introduction of action elements into adventure games

4. Spoiling the puzzles and the plot

5. Complaining about the length of the dialogue

6. Admitting to using a walkthrough, and then claiming the puzzles were too easy

7. Comparing every adventure game to Grim Fandango

Dark Fall franchise: The One Person Show

The site has a making of section...click on the Creation link. Programs used: Macromedia Director, Strata3D, Poser, and SoundForge. It's a commercial title published by bigwigs The Adventure Company and made by one person, Jonathan Boakes.

Quandary

This is another adventure game site. The features section has a lot of interesting opinion columns on the state of the industry. There's also quite a few like the one above that comments on the mainstream press view of the genre.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links