3D or not 3D: That is the Question

Quote:

3D adventure gaming is somewhat a new and controversial subject. For me, it's only recently that it's become a viable medium and I'm often slightly taken aback by some of the vehemence of those within our community that rally against it. They often cite past 3D titles as being the main reason as why it would never work, a questionable move compounded by the fact that those games fail simply because they're not great games, or suffered from the technology the developers were using back at that time. There's also a pickiness associated with 3D titles that doesn't transfer to 2D ones - simply put, most adventure gamers are OK settling for a mediocre (generalising maybe, but it's an example) title like Midnight Nowhere because of its simple point-and-click mouse controls when a better game like Broken Sword 3 gets kicked in the shins for some relatively minor control problems and a couple of "Dragon's Lair" interactive cutscenes which solve themselves... not that I'm agreeing with the fact that they're there, as you can see below. But it's a worthy point that many AG'ers seem to have something against 3D which I want to try to prove isn't justified.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links