Originally Posted By: mireazma
...looks very rich and it doesn't go below 60 FPS on my PC....
There is Torque 3D but in the default FPS example on a completely blank terrain only with the player it output like 60-70 FPS. So disappointing...

Maybe it is limited to your monitor frequency (mostly 60 Hz). So it will not go higher than 60. This way you cannot compare 60 to 60 in different engines. You have to remove this limit or use a more dense test scene rendering with less than 60.

Quote:
Now more to the topic: never tried UDK but I'm very interested in the FPS(frames per second)yield. It would've been perfect if someone could compare _the same_ game on all 3 engines -- same models, billboards, shaders etc.

Yes, I am also interested in this. And I will do that in the near future with a more complex sci-fi interior set. But in this case the indoor scene-management will be the most important part to do a good culling job and to create as few as possible render jobs for the graphic card.

It also depends on the size of textures. I realized that I can render and optimize a lot in C4, but when textures get bigger (couple of 2048px textures) then it slows down, but UDK can still run fast with big textures. It is probably the smart virtual texture system they use.
Unity is currently not very fast with big interiors. But the upcoming version 3 will have a professional culling system (Umbra). This will change the situation a lot.

For outdoors this changes again. Unity has some optimized nature shaders and a good lod system. UDK got some new foliage features, but I found the april demo not very convincing.

In the end we really need a stress test, but this is not too easy. In C4 I have to create zones and portals manually to get good performance. I can even place some occlusion portals for big columns. I can setup lights not render shadow volumes each frame and so on.
When there is Umbra in Unity then we also have to setup some occlusion areas, dont know how to do at the moment.

And when we compare terrains then it is the same. We have to understand how the engines handle lod, materials, transparency, how to make a terrain with the engine tools, how to create water (with or without reflections) and so on.

It will be not possible to create absolute identical situations for each engine, but it might be possible to come to an at least similar scenery.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft