Originally Posted By: pegamode
One thing that GS doesn't handle well from scratch is to hold objects states from level to level.

In an adventure an object that has been taken must not reappear when reentering the room.

There are a lot of skills for every entity, but just 2 (very short) strings ... so you have to use some other techniques to solve that problem.

Maybe that's a reason why there aren't that much adventures done with GS ... just a guess.

A7 has no problem with that at all if you know how to use Structs wink

Originally Posted By: Ernie76
@Helghast: I agree with Merlinett. Before MM3D i too thought that 3DGS cant handle that. If you look on the Gamestudio Main page and read the discription of the program, there are listed many generes that can be made with 3DGS, insted of "ADVENTURES".
I think they have to change that text ;P
Making an Adventure in 3D with 3DGS is Harde then you think.
Even after 2 Years, the task to Control a Player charakter with a 2D Mousecursor that operates on a 2D plane, in an 3D Enviroment is very hard. And don forget the 1000s of information wich must stay in the Memory. An Adventure with 1 main Charakter is easyer i think, but with 7 charakters an 3 wich are playable at the same time...!
I think ( Tempending on how intense the gameplay should be) that Ego shooters are the easyest genre for the A7 engine ( i mean straight shooters like Doom3 not open world shooters like farcry). For shooters A7 hat many "ready" things that comes with it.( again: Debending on the Version you use and if u use "Ready stuff" or not ) For Adventures, or other more independent games, there must everything coded from the begining. Dont forget i dont Talk about the work with Modeling and so on. I only Talk about, the Scripts and routines an so on.

I'm sorry, but i am going to have to disagree on this.
As i said before, making instances using structs should make it fairly "easy" (easier then using variables like in A6 atleast) to overcome this issue...

I'm not saying it's easy, but making any game of any genre isnt easy anyway tongue

But since we can instance objects (again, hammering on the struct usage), a limit to objects (when scripted proper) shouldnt be there anymore (think amounts of enemies, players, other objects)... the only limit would be hardware limit.
That's just my point of view though tongue

But I do have the feeling people think GameStudio is limited to certain genre's, where in reality it's only limited to the users experience and imagination...

-----------
I'm sorry for going offtopic and hijacking this thread George tongue

Formerly known as dennis_fantasy
Portfolio - http://www.designorhea.com/
Project - http://randomchance.cherrygames.org/