Originally Posted By: Toast
Originally Posted By: PHeMoX
Basically that movie tries to promote a certain philosophical idea, rather than explain how it all works scientifically. That's a bit of a shame actually.

Well I don't think it's a shame - there's just nothing else one could do here. I've got some small insights in this topic and to say the truth it's something you don't really want to explain to "normal people"... grin

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I guess that's true, but then again, scientific workings and it's evidence isn't exactly what this movie was about, but more so explaining a quite specific philosophical theory, suggesting the evidence for their theory is out there.

That's basically foul play. wink

A non-scientific person can be easily fooled into believing all those claims are true, where in reality there's a lot to be discovered yet, let alone proven.

Quote:
Especially not as a video that has to fit on one DVD... wink

True, then again, when science becomes commercial, it's usually a bad thing caused by people with an agenda. wink

Quote:
So in the end you just can talk of results on a level that has a "trivial" niveau ending up in daily experiences using easy to understand examples.

Right, except in that particular movie, quite a lot of things were taken out of context.

Quote:
I found the result pretty entertaining and those who aren't too much into science get quite some insights that way like the example with touching the basket ball and telling people they don't ever really touch the ball itself...

Actually, you are touching the ball itself, after all movement changes by forces caused by you. The thing they were trying to explain is the locational existence on a sub-atomic level is something non-deterministic and based on (random) chance.

Obviously the basketball example makes a good visual representation of that idea, but in a practical sense the ball is not really 'everywhere'. (It's perhaps also where a multi-dimensional idea conflicts with our every day practice of a single dimensional life (we can currently only go forward in time, in 3D).)

This and many other examples do take science and change it into something else. (For example the idea that thoughts and / or (mental) energy can influence physical objects and it's behavior as well. Great, but total new age science bs. tongue )

Quote:
Explanations like that are even beyond most good science shows you see on TV (and I'm not talking of weekly shows or something like that)...

Perhaps, but I think an easy example in most cases can't truly encompass everything a very complex subject is really about. A good teacher makes sure to give an easy example so a student can understand the next steps more easily, but in just about all cases an easy example doesn't change the complexity of the original subject itself. What I'm trying to say is that that movie tries to bend the examples into something that it's not, without being honest about it. wink

For one the practical implications. For example the basketball idea. IF it would really be both everywhere and nowhere at the same time, you wouldn't be able to even play that game.

Quote:
Anyway i must say it. NASA, officially published, a article about..what they found, a sort of portal on the earth atmosphere. Which can teleport matter, sun injectio matter, which they studies the portal dimensions, etc etc.. Which opens every 7 minutes etc etc.. So its possible, it exists, and we can use, it, we just didn't know it.

So most the problems of aliens you stated, will be neutral. and if they are more advanced, why not consider it as a probability.

You're confusing theories with facts here again. NASA speculates about such things all the time. Doesn't mean there actually IS a portal anywhere. They say the same things about black holes and it's theoretical probability of being a inter-dimensional portal.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software