Well Zbrush allow to do incredible things, very detailled to high level very fast : Big tool indeed !

What misses a lot is a real retopology tool with features like in 3D Coat.
Drawing point by point in Z brush is too slow.
In 3D Coat , you can really draw the polygons or use shortcuts like Quads (you define two points to add a quad from an edge).

Also a big missing feature is UV ; there is no real UV
tool on Zbrush.
I own Zbrush : it's an unbeatten sculpting tool , able to do hard edges now , and can be used for architecture modeling with the new projection tool.

BUT :
In fact 3DCoat is a lot more complete solution where you can :
-Make the high deatilled model on Voxels
-Retopology (best tools for retopo that exists)
-Make UV (Just mark seems and press unwrap at the end)
-Bake normal map (one button to push)
-paint col,spec and normal on 3D Low poly model or in it's textures.

It's a complete Toolset,very easy to use, very powerfull to produce from your idea to the final low poly model.

It don't have Zbrush power or as such advanced details like micro details etc ... but you can already produce very detailled things wihtout workflow problem : and using just one software : 3D Coat laugh

Caus of Zbrush lacks a lot UVMapping and a better Retopology : i regret a little to have bought it frown (even if it is great) !

3D Coat allow me to stay in the same software from high model sculping to final low poly model painting !

I can only encourage anyone going to 3D normal maps to really try it laugh

It's my personnal opinion and experimentation.
That's tools i've used in real next gen character making workflow. Perhaps some people would like to reotopo with limited tools on Zbrush, export low model , make UV on a modeler, re import it on Zbrush to generate the normal map ??

Last edited by ratchet; 09/17/09 19:39.