@firoball:
This indeed is a good point but it's no contradiction. The main issue is not to extrapolate our society. I will not give you references to look up for yourself as that would take too long - at a certain point you might be able to verify what I suggest...

Most species out there seem to have taken a position of not interfering unless it's wished by a population. As e.g. the disclosure project proves there have been some highly-developed races making contact with the US-government (I don't have proof of them doing the same for other ones but I guess they did). They offered their "help" in various regions but also asked for things like disarmament and stuff like that. You now can discuss half a lifetime why this was rejected but the most striking points certainly were this breaking the entire system of ruling and economy plus as a slight minor argument probably people getting frightened of the thought. On the other hand one might also say that this was the safe bet in terms of the government being frightened of aggressive cultures out there wooping our asses for fun...

That's why they accepted an offer by an entirely different fraction - mainly consisting of what we like to call the "Greys" (Zeta Reticulans is said to be correct for most of them). They allowed us studying their technologies and even some weaponry but also had some conditions for this. I have no knowledge of the exact terms but one point most certainly was the approval for genetical experiments they have a high demand for (once again I'll not cover this in detail but there is a fine reason for their strong interest in our genetics leading too far at this point) probably being the reason for the massive waves of abductions and incredibly high numbers of missing people in the USA. While there's still lots of mystery around certain things there also are some stories floating around about research stations built just for that reason - not very "entertaining stories" (be sure not to grab huge amounts of "fanfiction" when searching for that though). Afaik there's not much grey-activity on that sector anymore and most of them might even have left earth - but this is very recent information and not really confirmed yet unlike the facts the disclosure project delivers...

So in the end there's some truth to what you said - not making them official indeed is not a good sign as imo the grey faction wasn't the best choice. Another problem is that even if they are trying to get some attention you'll find this incredible amount of mocking that people are trained to face this topic with. I guess you've seen enough postings on forums going to hell when starting this topic and my guess is this one will make no difference. But if just a few actually decide to watch e.g. the 2001 press conference and aren't close-minded that'd would be worth having posted this here and getting my leg pulled for it which next to definitely will happen sooner or later (at least I've never experienced it in another way)...

Enjoy your meal
Toast

Last edited by Toast; 08/28/09 12:52.