Originally Posted By: Machinery_Frank
Quote:
but the ongoing argument that people should be buying it instead of GS just seems counter intuitive

I cannot remember that somebody in this thread told you that.

Sorry if I'm coming across the wrong way here, Frank, and though it may or may not have been specifically stated that was the implication in many posts. I've seen these types of arguments since there have been game engines available to the public, and they always turn from informative threads into a "this engine is great and that engine sucks" kind of thing. I usually never get drawn into them because they always seem to be perpetuated by a few people who (usually) don't even own the engine their arguing for. I shouldn't have gotten into this one, it's always a no win argument. My only point in this was to try to relate the fact that some people just like GS and want to use it, and shouldn't be made to feel bad for that. So, I'll back out now.

Originally Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die
The only thing I can think is that you might be a 12 year old kid that sees $1000 like a million dollars , because other than that , I don't see how you could consider such a modest price so ridiculously expensive you compare it to spending $50,000 a night in a penthouse suite. Do you realize what you say?

Actually, I've made a pretty good living off my own computer consulting business for over 30 years now, raised a family on the income, and taught computer science at university for 10 of those years in addition to my own business. And though game dev is not my specialty or my business, I've made a lot more money on developing business apps than most will ever see in game dev. So yes, I have some idea of software tools, what they cost, and what different levels of business can spend on those tools. People pay me a lot of money for advice in those areas, and have been pretty happy with that advice over the last 30+ years.

And one thing I've learned (though apparently not very well) is that arguing with kids and people with little to no experience is definitely a no win situation. This place is like any other, there are people here who are experienced and very good at what they do, and there are also people who just aren't but want to talk a lot anyway.

It's been quite a while since I've gotten into one of these, and I appreciate the reminder for why I shouldn't...

A7 Commercial
Two Track Music