Originally Posted By: lostclimate
uh, you realize that if you want to test that fairly you need to have the same machine they have. you afaik were testing with a geforce 6100 which is now-a-days, basically crap compared to even the cheap cards out now.

with the texture resolution you have to remember, reducing from 1024x to 512 is reducing it by 4x, but the amount of pixels is a ton, were going from 512 to 256 your only taking of about 16th as much off.

as far as the problems with the trees its like that with a lot of engines, and a7 is missing one feature that they do really need, and thats object instancing.

as far as what you pulled off with preva vs what you coulda got with tge.... believe me i have love for preva, but you coulda still pulled a lot more off with it than you did and i never understood how you repeatedly said you had all these performance issues.

Ok, I respect you LC, and you're an ok guy, but you really don't know what you're talking about. I didn't just test on one pc that had a 6100, we have tested on more than 5 or 6 pcs and got the same kind of performance.

As for what we could pull off, no, there couldn't have been more. The fact that the game as is couldn't run on an older system with graphics that were not much more than a 2001 game, when the games from that era ran at blistering speed on a 6100, is pathetic.

If you think that we just placed alot of entities in the levels and left them as-is, you're completely wrong. The reason the game looks the way it does is because after countless (2 years) of testing multiple ways of doing the levels we had to go with a very simple setup or else the framerate was below 20, and yes that involves systems that are updated (or were updated for that time). It's pathetic that to run the game you have to have a modern setup considering that the game was very simple in coding and design.

You have the Game, you got it for beta testing. If you think the code is the problem, look at it. If you think the levels are the problem open them up and edit them.

I had to make my own scanning code because the engine's was too slow. We had to cut corners on multiple things.

As for David Lancaster, I know a decent bit about his work, we're kinda buddies. He quit working on 3DGS a while back, and his project that he was working on A6 with was turning out too slow. He then got A7 and it was running better but I assume he ran into more problems for them to switch engines. We had been talking about Torque and 3DGS too.

Originally Posted By: darkinferno
well... @mpdeveloper, idk what you went through developing preva so i cant say much, but based on MY tests, i really think i couldve remade preva to run on a7 to look and play better... dont know if you'll ever make part 2, but that is a goal of mine... maybe you could have me develop part 2 or atleast a demo using the preva models wink anyways, thats not the point here... i understand where ur coming from but i do think a7 is a leap over a6.. based on work i've done so far...

the thing is just this, the ARTISTIC work flow of torque seems really easy... but i kno it can be done with 3dgs, even if i cant pull it off

I can't say much on PreVa, but the actual name is a joke. We named it PreVa as a predecessor to a game that we wanted to make. Originally PreVa was just going to be a tech demo. Yes we plan on more games in the timeline of PreVa, as a matter of fact we are going to do a version of it on torque. We originally planned for multiplayer and ladder matches, but we decided not to with A6. That's all I can say on that. :P

As for a PreVa 2...you can't make one. laugh We wouldn't take too kindly to our game being released by someone else. wink However, if you want to work with us we have a job contact from our site and we could always use someone else. I'll put you up for someone to hire.

If you want to do some tech tests with it though you can show me what you could do, but probably no public releases. I would like to see what you can do though. If you pull off something pretty good then it might be a little more push to hire you.

@Both: If you guys want to do a level test of PreVa, do so, but you must use A6 considering that the argument is over whether A6 could pull off more or not. I'm sure that A7 has more and that it could pull the game off a bit better, but we have made the decision to not use 3DGS again for our mech games.

As for being off-topic....maybe we should pm this stuff to each other?

- aka Manslayer101