Originally Posted By: ratchet
In Torque 3D, you just use standard assets and libraries: no coding , all things are ready to use !

That's true, but I don't want an engine that does it all for me. I'm a programmer, I want to make my own content. That's why I want Torque for the source code.

I think if 3DGS released source code it would instantly change the way the engine is. Having source means you have no limits at all. You can make the engine your own.

Originally Posted By: JulzMighty
For one thing: it says a lot about that guy's expectations when he began raving about how it should kill other engines when he only had one fortress and the terrain.

That's why I posted the one that I did in my last post, he didn't just run one fortress, he ran multiple ones. He had over 1,002,000 polys in fortresses alone (which is only around 8-9 fortresses, but it's more polys than most engines can handle). You also forget that he has the desert scene with multiple buildings and trees, which is in the same map.

We're enjoying having a look and talk about features like soft-particles and all that, and then you come back and try to turn the thread back onto what you think A7 can't do.

True, for my first post, but it is relevant to T3D, which is why I posted.

EDIT: Btw, my attitude doesn't come across very nicely in this post, I know. In real life I enjoy a good argument, and I'll do it light-heartedly and with a smile, but that doesn't translate to text very well (if I put in smileys but don't change the wording it'll probably look patronising). Sorry for that, that's something I'm working on when I'm online.

Same here, I enjoy debating issues like this, and I like debating with people who have a good standpoint. I'm not at all frustrated with debating with you. laugh

The only thing that bugs me is people who haven't made games post "well the engine's totally capable of this and this" when in reality they haven't tried to do any kind of frame rate tests that involve actual gameplay. There's multiple reasons why I'm rooting for Torque:

1. Tribes 2
2. Jeff Tunnel (not really but I thought i'd throw it in there) laugh
3. Garage Games, unlike Conitec, are game developers. (no offense intended) They know that if they want to pull off more they will have to dabble in newer technology. The fact that they MAKE games with their engine is what gives them an edge, that's why AAA engines are so well made (except D3 laugh ) because they were made to make a game.
4. Source Code, when all else fails in the script, use c++
5. The developers listen, even to people who haven't bought the game engine (not that conitec doesn't, it's just that some things that were complained about even in A5 still aren't fixed)

Like I mentioned I just want to be able to code outside of the box. I get that A7 can do that, which is nice and all, but with A7 you still have to use the syntax which is just piling up more on the engines coding, and if the code is a bit slow then it just makes it a bit slower. The reason I like Torque is because you can change the basis, you don't have to add on with a plugin, you can change the engine itself.

Don't get me wrong I like having things like a grass/tree generator that's already in engine, and the fact that it's in the actual editor makes it all the better since the editor is 100% live. That kind of stuff saves time, and it's great, but over all the "click together your game" stuff...I want source. I started as a modder and went insane that I couldn't edit game source for the games I was modding, which is why I got into Game Development.

But I digress, my post is too long. At least it's mostly about Torque. laugh

- aka Manslayer101