Originally Posted By: Pappenheimer
Originally Posted By: lostclimate
what, that video at the end? thats nothing.

Honestly, I don't get you. I still only use 3DGS, and I never considered buying Torque, but this huge landscape and the flawless real time shadowing in it is beyond anything that I expect to see in 3DGS in any reasonable time frame.

Although, I would like to know how fast it would run on my pc.

The guy posted in his comments that he was simulating a single core cpu, he turned off his additional cpus and the setup was:

Single core 2.6 Ghz
Single GeForce 9600GT

When it was simulated in the engine it showed up as a PIII....that means it's theoretically possible to run torque on a P3.

Read This:

http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/17567/1#comment-128273

Now remember that the polys he mentions is just the tall buildings, that's not including the desert scene that is in the same map, or the high poly terrain. There's way more than just 1mil polys.

Originally Posted By: JulzMighty
even though the guy who made the 167k or whatever terrain example said he'd like to see it kill other engines, it actually wouldn't. It's really not a big deal. And on his dual-graphics card PC (which is not absolute latest-gen but more than enough for any modern game [I'd say even Crysis on full settings, given I have ONE of those graphics cards and handle full-Crysis beautifully]) he raved about getting up to 40 fps AFTER adding LoD. 60 fps as a general rule is ideal for an actual release game (though in the PC world you obviously can't account for everyone's different specs).

did you actually read the blog? check my link above.

Originally Posted By: JulzMighty
This sub-forum is not about talking about A7, it is about talking about "Competitor products & game development tools".

That does involve 'comparing' 3DGS with other engines.

@Frank: I'm gonna finish reading that blog in a minute. laugh

@everyone: Ok, you want to prove your point that 3DGS can do this stuff, here's what you do:

1. Make a GAME that has it, big terrains, soft shadows, terrain shadow mapping (easily done with a shader), normal mapping, parallax, a decent flood of particles (yes torque can handle quite a few of them, if you want to go against T3D, then make them soft particles, yes they added that to T3D), a number of trees and grass covering your terrain, and heavy rain in that map, SSAO, Refractions, Good Physics running where you don't get stuck in the wall, etc.

2. It has to be a playable game, not just a small room with tests.

3. Post the game in the showcase, or projects or whatever. The moment I see this game (and play it) that can run all those effects in the same map (which i can run in the demo version of TGEA) and have a playable game with AI, then I'll admit that 3DGS can do all you crack it up to do.

Last edited by mpdeveloper_B; 06/18/09 22:42.

- aka Manslayer101