Absolutely, but I think darkinferno's point was more that programmers will probably enjoy A7 more than Torque 3D, while artists will probably enjoy Torque 3D more.

Particularly in our hobby/indie context where people are often more a programmer than artist, or more an artist than programmer.

Being primarily a programmer, I don't mind the extra work to get a level set up looking how I want it to if I find that I can make the game in a fast and feature-rich language (as opposed to a Scripting language, and/or a language that seems easier to learn but imposes many more limits if I want to do something different to what it was designed for).

Shaders are a good example, I think. Torque 3D comes with tonnes of shaders, and they can be edited in a really user-friendly fashion. But if I want to try an effect that hadn't been done before, A7 would be the way to go (before SSAO became a standard, in fact before I'd even heard of it in Crysis, I was fiddling around with a similar effect in A7; I don't know much about Torque 3D and TorqueScript, but I can't imagine a more flexible shader system than A7's for a programmer).

Jibb

EDIT: And I know I could use C++ with Torque 3D and get even more programmer flexibility, but I think Lite-C is a very good balance as it hides the internals of the engine whilst placing very few restrictions.

EDIT2:
Quote:
Torque's industry leading networking library is unmatched for latency sensitive, scalable multi-player interaction. Using minimal bandwidth per player, Torque supports fast-paced, latency sensitive multi-player racing games with vehicle collision and FPS games with fast projectiles and collisions up to 256 players per server. For less latency sensitive simulations like MMORPGs, virtual worlds, etc., Torque can support 1000+ players per server.
- from main Torque 3D page.

I really like the sound of that!

Last edited by JulzMighty; 06/18/09 13:43. Reason: Good networking!

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!