Yeah , I think the main point of the post was , Torque is becoming a very professional engine , and a better option to opt for in creation a full commercial game. Same thing for unity. While I myself still like gamestudio(A6 as A7 = garbage), for my next full game project , I'm certainly going to evaluate Torque vs Unity , to see which I ultimate choose for the project.

But to make one thing clear , as much as the out of the box effects impress me , the BIGGEST advantage I see with Torque and Unity is the cross platform development option. It's been asked here for YEARS , but never been done because of licensing reasons. However , these engines now support it , which to me is the biggest plus they have , as learning this engines now gives you a much better opportunity as a developer to get your game out there to players. And that to me , is truly INVALUABLE.

Oh yeah , and for the people talking about the price , we're looking at pro versions here , of both Torque and Gamestudio , as they both have cheaper versions with less features.
So it's really more like Gamestudio $899 VS Torque $1000.

$200 is not a bigg difference to me for getting a good solid engine with a beautiful userfriendly interface and a bunch of great fully functioning out of the box fx.

Another thing to point is , I've been using gamestudio for years, and am now serious about developing a commercial title , as opposed to back then when I just thought having a game engine to play with was the most incredible thing on earth. So as a serious developer looking for a serious engine to develop commercial products with , Torque and Unity have now become my 2 top choices , with 3rd being something like Flash , and maybe after that gamestudio.

To the gamestudio defenders , I've been defending it for years , but as good and advanced as it was back then , it's progress from there to now has been SLOW and almost none other than in the programing aspect of the engine , which to MOST users I'd say is worthless. But this topics are actually good for gamestudio , as the engine developers can weigh what the users are thinking of the engine , as we are their customers and this is nothing but pure unadultered feedback concerning the newest engine edition verses the newest competitor's editions.

And again , I await A8 , as if Conitec actually delivers , I'd be very happy to purchase that new version. But we'll have to see , as only time will tell where this engine is going , I might be judging to soon.

Last edited by Why_Do_I_Die; 06/07/09 20:02.