Originally Posted By: fogman
Now imagine a Mercedes driver that denies VW drastically.
He even ignores that there are a lot of VW drivers that are quite happy how VW evolves.
And he claims, that VW will suffer in the long end.
Ridiculous?

Yes, from your point of view this might be ridiculous but I also understand people like Blattsalat, WhyDoIDie, Broozar, Wicht, Nitro, Kiyaku and others I forgot to mention.

The problem is, that Torque is not a Mercedes. Trinigy is a Mercedes. Unity is a VW and GS is probably an old VW.

Here are some examples:
1.) The motor (engine) of this old VW is ok. It can get you where you want to go (it renders content on the screen).

2.) The controls are fine. You can steer the vehicle well (Lite-C). You have a lot of small buttons and sliders.

3.) But the windscreen is blurry and dirty. You even have no wiper. You see your way not very clearly (no real-time editor). You have to guess where to go.

4.) The brakes are working most of the time but not always (collision detection). There is no break-assistant integrated.

5.) All the automatic helper and assistants are mainly missing or are weak implementations (physics, shadows, terrain, scene-management).

6.) You even cannot drive this car into other countries (no multi-platform), while most of the other cars can do this.

In the end it comes to this picture: It is a car for kids and students who cannot afford a Mercedes or Porsche. Thus it is a beginners car. Some of these beginners passionately like it and tune it further, create their own assistants, change wheels and add some rear spoilers. It will not drive faster but they like it and have fun with it.

This is nothing bad at my mind. This is how the market works.

T3D on the other hand is VW becoming a Mercedes soon, but tries to catch up with Ferrari and Porsche. Probably they will never reach this high goal but at least they are trying.

There must be a reason why many skilled users are creating professional add-ons, tools and contents for T3D (the river and road tool is actually a customer project, many shaders are from customers and this very advanced physics-animation system called Ecstasy is from customers).

Many in this thread wrote that A7 is a programmers engine, so I would expect similar tools from skilled programmers as well. GED and IntenseX are such examples. But both dont develop faster than Torque-projects, actually they develop very slowly. So programming Lite-C is in the end not faster than programming any other language out there.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft