Originally Posted By: Blattsalat
wanna know what the only big fix was since a5 that work at least a bit: collision detection.
Actually Gamestudio's collision detection is a bit weak too. Like the physics engine it uses ODE/OPCODE, it is limited to ellipsoids (support for other convex shapes would be nice) and it is very hard to achieve a character controller which doesn't suffer from gliding jerks and getting stuck problems. In most other engines I know a good character controller is much easier to achieve. There also is bad design like c_trace() using the mesh of the first animation frame for collision detection which can lead to a lot of problems.

Originally Posted By: Blattsalat
no wonder the community is dead. at least compared to what it was just a few years back. being ofline for just one week back then ment thousands of new posts, projects, ideas, contributions and so on.
Yeah, the community doesn't seem to be that active anymore. And not only that, jcl also doesn't seem to find new employees to fill the positions of the people who left. Or did he? Having George and the son of the WED author working on some stuff part time doesn't seem to be a real replacement.

Doesn't look too good to me. Which is a pity because I really like(d) Gamestudio.

PS: I still would pick Gamestudio over Torque without thinking twice. smile GarageGames' business practices are despicable. Their products never have lived up to their big mouthed marketing so far.

The real Gamestudio alternative for people who want an engine with easy scripting is Unity.