Hi. I noted this post by accident, and since unity 2.5 for windows is out I though it might be cool to share some insight, since a screenshot of an old old old (2006) project of ours was shown.

Ever since we started out using unity3D we simply fell in love with it! Before that we were quest3D users, and gave torque and even a7 a try, but were overwhelmed, sine (NO SARCASM HERE) we were able to import a scene from max w/baked textures in FBX and drop in a FPS prefab and had a incredible VR simulation just 2 hours after downloading the trial version.

I noted that the screenshot that zwecklos posted was incredibly crafted to look the engline look crappy, which is actually a bit silly. I invite you guys to check that same old project here and proove me wrong. We are very friendly people but it just annoys me a bit when things are skewed like this.

This is a link to the webplayer of the project:
http://www.zerofractal.com/fractalreality/agua.html

Again, I'm sorry for bringing a year old post to life!!!

Alejandro Gonzalez

Originally Posted By: zwecklos
just checked the Unity website and also was checking out the gallery.
I think it is a very nice engine with many nice features.

I also checked their architectural visualisation that I found in the gallery, the screenshoots looks very cool and promising. So I downloaded the program found on http://unity3d.com/webplayers/ZeroFractal/Agua-Windows.zip.

I was more than disappointed, maybe it a is matter of the conversion to make it able to run under windows.
But something like this should not be used for promoting an engines output, no matter what “3D pipelines" were involved.

Judge by yourself:

A print screen directly taken from the application.

Here the Acknex result:

This scene is without Anti-Aliasing, directly taken from the application. With the next update for A7 (that will come very soon I hope *sigh*) AA will be intergrated in that scenery.
Also a bloom-blur and a sharpen shader is implemented.

Dont get me wrong, I think Unity is surely an impressive engine. But for me/us it is no option.

A funny sentence I found in the Developer profile:

Quote:

How long did you spend?

emm.. about 2 hours after downloading the trial smile

Well, they invented the "do_a_very_good_looking_scene" button laugh

/sarcasm.flags = !VISIBLE;

To be honest, after exploring this application, I found me asking my self why our screenies doesnt adorn the 3DGS galleries smile

cheers

zwecklos